Thursday 12 March 2015

An Influential Event

An Influential Event

An influential event that changed me was the 6 month exchange program to University of Manchester. It has always been my dream to visit Manchester and the Theatre of Dream – Old Trafford Stadium, just to fulfil my desire as a soccer fan.

However, upon arriving in Europe, I found out that there are so much more that I can learn and it was really an eye opener. The rich culture and differences in lifestyle was nothing like our lifestyle in Singapore. At the same time, these differences caused some problem in the initial settling in period. All by myself, I learnt to take care of myself and adapt to the changes.

Another advantage of being in Europe is the convenience to travel beyond borders, I went to 10 different countries and that experience is priceless to me. During these 6 month, I was fortunate to meet other like-minded travellers and fostered strong friendship with them. Despite coming from different background, we were able to understand each other’s culture better and learn to accommodate one another. It taught me to respect everyone’s cultures and be receptive towards others.

Comparing Europe with Singapore, I can now appreciate Singapore better. Things I used to take for granted like our public transport and clean environment mean more to me and it is my duty as a Singaporean to maintain the high standard of our nation.


Overall, it was the best overseas experience I had so far and I am inspired to aim higher as the world far bigger than just Singapore.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this interesting experience, Yucheng.

    ReplyDelete